inspire2coachJOIN / LOGIN MAIN MENU
Rosemary Owino on Making a Difference Through Tennis
Rosemary Owino, Davis and Fed Cup captain of the Kenyan team began with broken rackets that “were like five or six strings at each end…”
Rosemary (Rosie) Owino is the inspirational Davis and Fed Cup captain of the Kenyan tennis team. Now 38, Rosie only discovered tennis at age 18. In a recent interview she recalls having, “stumbled upon an ‘ancient’ tennis court, built by the British, in her last year of high school. The surface was not the ubiquitous native clay-dirt known as maram but old asphalt – “like a rough road,” … complete with pot-holes. The old racquets “were not really complete; there were like five or six strings at each end…” (full interview is on the ITF website).
We talked to Rosemary about:
- Her incredible journey into tennis.
- Her role as a spokesperson for girls and women in tennis.
- The role of “the village” vs parents in bringing up children in Africa.
- How she juggles life, being Fed Cup and Davis Cup captain and everything she needs to do.
- The challenges Africa faces in developing a sport like tennis.
- Where Rosie’s desire to speak for and about girls and women comes from.
Related Articles on Tennis 24/7
[display-posts category=”topics”]MANAGE YOUR MEMBERSHIP ABOUT TENNIS 24/7 GET HELP COMMUNITY
© Copyright 2021 Tennis24/7 · All Rights ReservedPRIVACY & SITE TERMS